Position: Knowledge Exchange Specialist
Reports to: Sr. Manager, Spark Together for Healthy Kids
The Heart and Stroke Foundation believes that all children and youth should grow up healthy with access to physical activity and healthy eating where they live, learn and play. Heart Healthy Children and Youth(HHCY) is a national and provincial strategic priority for the Foundation. In Ontario, since 2006, the Spark Advocacy Grants have supported community groups across Ontario who are advocating for changes that help kids live well.
Spark Advocacy Grants provide financial support to groups to advocate for and implement increased opportunities for physical activity and ensure better access to nutritious foods for our children. Grants of up to $25,000 are awarded in a bi-annual competition, with the goal of igniting and empowering change within Ontario’s diverse communities. In addition to financial support, the grants program provides additional supports to grantees through knowledge exchange and peer learning activities on-line www.heartandstroke.ca/spark and in the community.
The Knowledge Exchange Specialist is a key partner with the Sr. Specialist, Spark Advocacy Grants in the development and implementation of the Spark grants program.
- Lead the development and implementation of knowledge exchange tools and training on-line and at the community level e.g. webinars, workshops, presentations and videos
- Manage the development and execution of annual on-line capacity building assessment tool with grant recipients.
- Facilitate the identification of grantee/partner knowledge exchange topic areas bases on review and analysis of grant project activity, environmental assessments.
- Prepare bi-annual spark grant summary reports based on review and analysis of all final grant report submissions.
- Annually review and revise as appropriate on-line reporting and knowledge exchange tools to ensure knowledge exchange opportunities are maximized.
- Manage the administration of the Spark Advocacy Grant website including applications, postings and reporting
- Promote Spark grant peer learning and knowledge exchange activities to internal and external audiences to ensure awareness and participation objectives are achieved
- Support Sr. Specialist in the communication of Spark grant impacts stories for other Foundation activities particularly communications and fund development activities (corporate, major gifts and community fundraising)
- Support Sr. Specialist in the communication and promotion of Spark grants impact stories to internal and external audiences using traditional and social media
- Administration of the bi-annual Spark Advocacy Grants application, review and selection process
- Manage application database of total grants submitted and awarded
- Maintain accurate records of all grants awarded and all applications received
- Support the bi-annual grants review process including note taking at level one and level two review committees meetings
- Coordinate contractual requirements for awarded grants on bi-annual basis
- Maintain and update of grants procedures and processes, forms & documentation
- Coordinate final reports/reporting requirements of grantees
- Maintain and update alternate funding opportunities resource list
Business Strategy and Planning:
- Develop knowledge exchange recommendations and plans as part of annual HHCY provincial and national planning.
- Active participation in strategy, planning and evaluation of Spark Advocacy Grants program in alignment with Heart Healthy Children and Youth strategies and plans (program development, evaluation, fund development and communications)
- Facilitate integration of Spark Advocacy grants into broader Heart Healthy Children and Youth strategies and plans for mission and fundraising opportunities
- Track emerging issues/problems/opportunities for KE, and develop recommendations to address.
- Anticipates and plans for future events, trends, problems and opportunities and exercises sound judgment. Evaluates reasonable risk taking opportunities and develops creative solutions, stimulating new ways of thinking and solving problems.
- Drive for results, while maintaining and building effective relationships. Persists in advancing initiatives despite adversity, creating and negotiating alternate solutions as appropriate.
- Develops effective, motivated individuals and teams to achieve common goals. Encourages individuals to develop strengths and supports opportunities to foster professional growth. Willingly shares personal experience and knowledge and provides feedback to improve individual and team performance.
- Acts with integrity by promoting consistency among principles, values and behaviours. Adapts communication style as appropriate. Self-aware, committed to professional and personal growth.
- Community Mission & Diversity Team
- Health Partnerships
- Government Relations
- Mission Content
- Parent Brand
- Significant new initiative and identified strategic priority with high expectations for delivery and significant uncertainties
- Dependent on collaborating with diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Complex and high profile relationships with significant risk if not managed well
- Post secondary education and minimum of 5+ years experience in project management, and communications and relationship management
- Experience with a range of knowledge exchange methods (e.g. communities of practice, newsletters, workshops, online collaborative spaces, online repositories);
- Experience with social networking and social media tools
- Excellent planning, organization and project management skills
- Self starter, demonstrates ability to take initiative and to manage projects independently
- Detail-oriented with excellent multitasking and prioritization skills
- Team player with superior communications and interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving/troubleshooting skills
- Requires ability to balance analytical, operational and creative thinking
- Stakeholder management and relationship building skills
- PC literate with the working knowledge of the Internet and Microsoft Office package.
Please forward your resume to:
Human Resources Department
2300 Yonge Street, 13th Floor,
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1E4
Please include the job title in the subject line of your email.