CIFAR creates knowledge that will transform our world. The Institute brings together outstanding, international scholars and scientists to work in global research networks that address some of the most important questions our world faces today. Our networks help support the growth of research leaders and are catalysts for change in business, government and society.
Established in 1982, CIFAR is a Canadian-based, global organization, comprised of nearly 400 fellows, scholars and advisors from 115 institutions in 18 countries. CIFAR partners with the Government of Canada, provincial governments, individuals, foundations, corporations and research institutions to extend our impact in the world.
The Director, Knowledge Mobilization (Innovation) is responsible for pro-actively connecting CIFAR’s research programs with innovative global business leaders who thrive on understanding leading-edge science to drive breakthrough R&D. An independent and outgoing leader, the Director will develop and implement a comprehensive knowledge mobilization strategy, representing CIFAR on a wide-range of leading business sector engagements and building direct relationships with external stakeholders. The Director is also the Web and IT Lead responsible for the knowledge mobilization team’s online, IT and publications strategies, driving CIFAR’s global reach and impact.
- Represents CIFAR as a forward-thinking, highly relevant, go-to knowledge broker by building new partnerships with influential organizations and thought leaders in the business and R&D sectors in Canada and abroad
- Independently works with CIFAR Program Directors and Fellows in related CIFAR Research Programs (e.g. Bio-inspired Solar Energy, Learning in Machines & Brains, Molecular Architecture of Life, Quantum Information Science and Quantum Materials) to develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive five-year KM plans.
- Directs the Knowledge Mobilization Team’s Web and IT Strategy to ensure that CIFAR’s online goals, IT development plans and Salesforce integration processes are of the highest quality and effectiveness.
- Manages and maximizes CIFAR’s financial and human resources
- Performs all other duties as required and provides support for other Institute initiatives as assigned.
A doctoral degree in the physical or computer sciences or in engineering; five years’ experience in innovation, business or an R&D intensive organization, external strategic stakeholder relationship building and engagement with senior academic researchers.
Core Professional/Technical Knowledge & Skills required for the position:
- In-depth knowledge of research and current activities, policies and models in the field of knowledge mobilization; connections with KM organizations.
- Superior knowledge of and direct experience working with CIFAR stakeholders in the health and social sectors.
- Knowledge of CIFAR’s vision and mission, research themes and programs.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Bilingual is an asset.
- Independent leadership
- Strategic planning and priority-setting.
- Operating planning, financial and people management
- Pro-active problem solving.
- Evidence synthesis and analysis.
- Strong communication, facilitation and consultation skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
Position reports to: Vice-President. Engagement & Public Policy
Term of position: Full-time Start date: immediately
Contact: Please send resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting Job Title in Subject Line. The deadline for submitting your application is Friday, July 21, 2017.
To find out more, please visit our website: www.cifar.ca
CIFAR is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on abilities.
We thank you for your interest in working at CIFAR. All applications will be reviewed however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.