(1 Year Contract)
The Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)’s National Office is seeking a Research Associate to support a project on entrepreneurship and mental health. The project aims to enhance understanding of the mental health challenges identified by entrepreneurs living and working in Canada, in terms of what mental health issues they report, how these challenges impact business objectives and activities, what strategies and supports they engage to manage these challenges, and what barriers they may face in accessing services and supports. The study will be considered in the light of current research in entrepreneurship theory and practice and organization studies, will inform the consideration of policy and programming implications, and will be used to produce a research report.
Research tasks include, but will not be limited to, designing and analyzing the results of a nation-wide survey of founders and owners of SMEs (small- and medium-sized enterprises) in Canada, across sectors and industries; conducting an environmental scan of and informational interviews about available supports and services for entrepreneurs; and, coordinating, conducting and analyzing the results of one-on-one interviews with entrepreneurs across Canada. The incumbent will contribute to research in the area of entrepreneurship and will operationalize the research for and in collaboration with external stakeholders.
- A recent graduate degree, PhD preferred, with preference for graduates of management studies, economics, quantitative sociology or psychology, or public health;
- Experience designing survey instruments and interview protocols;
- Experience with survey platforms (Qualtrics) and statistical analysis software (SPSS) is essential; experience with qualitative data analysis software (NVivo) is an asset;
- Experience designing and conducting in-depth, one-on-one interviews;
- Proven track record of conducting high-quality research;
- The ability to manage multiple responsibilities;
- Interest in and ability to engage with SME owners/founders and business support organizations;
- Demonstrated collaboration skills, within and across departments and with external stakeholders, are essential;
- A strong command of English, both spoken and written, are essential for this project; fluency in French would be an advantage;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Location: Out office located in Toronto.
We offer a flexible work environment along with a competitive salary and benefits package. Occasional travel may be required.
Beginning immediately, this is a challenging role in a socially involved organization in downtown Toronto. The employment contract will affect a period of 12 months from the effective start date.
Are you a fit?
If you are interested in the position please forward your CV and a brief letter by Dec. 19, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining how you meet the requirements.
Founded in 1918, the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) is the most established, most extensive community mental health organization in Canada. Through a presence in more than 330 communities across every province, CMHA provides advocacy and resources that help to prevent mental health problems and illnesses, support recovery and resilience, and enable all Canadians to flourish and thrive.
Visit the CMHA National website at www.cmha.ca.
CMHA is committed to our workforce reflecting the diversity of the communities within which we work. As such, we encourage applications from persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the diversity of our staff.
Job Type: Contract
- Mental Health: 1 year (Preferred)
- Researcher: 1 year (Preferred)
- Post-Doctorate (Preferred)