Reports to: VP Knowledge and Innovation
Location: Ottawa or Calgary
The Mental Health Commission of Canada is a non‐profit organization created to focus national attention on mental health issues and to work to improve the health and social outcomes of people living with mental illness. The goal of the MHCC is to help bring about an integrated mental health system that places people with mental illness at its centre. To this end, the Commission encourages cooperation and collaboration among governments, mental health service providers, employers, the scientific and research communities, as well as Canadians living with mental illness, their families and caregivers.
AN OVERVIEW OF THE KNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE CENTRE
The mental health community in Canada is anxious to have a transformed mental health system that will meet the needs of all Canadians. As a result MHCC envisions the creation of a “national Knowledge Exchange Centre (KEC) that establishes itself as a reliable and collaborative means for people from across Canada to come together, access information, share their knowledge and exchange their ideas”. The KEC will focus on the transfer and exchange of knowledge generated through systematic and collective processes.
The Commission is seeking a leader who is open to utilizing innovative ideas and approaches in coordinating the development and operation of its Knowledge Exchange Centre. Reporting to the VP of Knowledge and Innovation, the Director, Knowledge Exchange Centre, will provide the strategic and tactical direction required to build and manage a world class knowledge portal to provide access, information and visibility in Canada and globally. The Director of the Knowledge Exchange Centre will be required to provide ongoing interaction with members of the Commission’s executive and the various constituencies that make up the “mental health system” including; users of services, providers of services, researchers, and policy‐makers, to ensure that the KEC provides the greatest value.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to KEC team (direct reports and external consultants) in managing the development, implementation, enhancement, maintenance and integration of the Knowledge Exchange Centre.
- Develop project resource strategies, allocating budget, staff, tools and specialized support necessary for cost effective implementation.
- Review and approve activities/projects, focusing on a solutions approach, deliverables, cost estimates and delivery timeline.
- Sustain a competent and motivated management team and ensure each member is held fully accountable for meeting performance requirements and key deliverables.
- Further develop leadership capabilities and enhance project management and application development skills and business knowledge of team members.
- Demonstrate the skill/knowledge required to reach the objectives of the Knowledge Exchange Centre as well as contributing to the overall objectives.
- Accountable for overseeing the delivery of projects on time and on budget, meeting the state requirements and the Commission’s objectives.
- Identify gaps and opportunities between internal resources and external requirements that align with MHCC’s strategy, and KEC strategy.
- Liaise with key external stakeholders to develop partnerships in order to advance the KEC’s capabilities in the area of knowledge exchange.
- Develop knowledge exchange plans including, developing tools, resources and summaries, identification of audiences, messages and interventions to support KEC activities.
- Develop knowledge‐exchange policies to capture and build knowledge resources, based on best practices.
- Manage the procurement and work of contractors and temporary staff on specific projects as the need arises.
- Responsible for providing Board and executives with presentations, reports, budgets, and work plans as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the VP, Knowledge and Innovation.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Significant experience in managing the design, development and implementation of strategic initiatives and activities, particularly in the area of knowledge exchange.
- Demonstrated success working within interdisciplinary teams and in partnerships with groups such as expert volunteers, researchers, advocates, and service providers with excellent relationship building skills
- Excellent planning and time management skills, with ability to multi‐task, produce and coordinate projects to tight deadlines.
- Developed oral and written communication skills, particularly related to summarizing multiple and complex sources of information so they are useful for various audiences.
- Ability to access and understand multiple sources of data, research and grey literature produced by data organizations and those devoted to systematic reviews.
- Experience in developing new methods to summarize the research base and tacit knowledge surrounding major current issues in mental health, well‐being and recovery.
- Well-developed complex problem-solving skills requiring probing for information to determine the nature of the problem; developing unique solutions; and comprehension of highly complex material.
- Proven track record as an innovator and creative strategic thinker.
- Ability to convene diverse groups.
- Developed interpersonal communication skills including experience developing and maintaining strategic partnerships and networks of significant numbers of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills.
- Ability to delegate work appropriately.
- Ability to develop budgets, timelines and deliverables; manage externally contracted staff or services and report on progress and make adjustments as needed.
- Ability to prepare and deliver presentations to large and small audiences.
- Proficient in using various software including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, electronic mail and scheduling.
- A team player accustomed to gracefully working within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility, diplomacy and tact.
- Excellent analytical and interpretive.
- Excellent knowledge and demonstrated experience of health sector issues/challenges, preferably mental health.
- Ethically uncompromising, exhibiting the highest level of personal and professional integrity.
- Progressive and forward thinking individual.
- Excellent verbal and written skills ‐ open, receptive, persuasive, diplomatic and articulate.
- Master’s degree (PhD desirable) with extensive experience
- Ongoing professional development with emphasis on leadership, project management would alsobe considered an asset.
- Minimum 7 years demonstrated experience in Knowledge Exchange/Knowledge
- Transfer/Knowledge Translation functions.
- Ability to speak both official languages would be desirable.
- Leadership track record in developing and implementing new and innovative “firsts”.
Please forward Resumes (in MS Word or Adobe PDF format only) to: email@example.com by October 17, 2010.
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.