Position title: Communications / Digital Media Officer
Reports to: SHRTN Operations Manager
Network: SHRTN Knowledge Exchange (www.shrtn.on.ca) part of the SHRTN Collaborative
Term: contract position for fiscal year with strong possibility of renewal (April – end of March)
Position: full-time (7.5 hours / day)
Location: Ottawa (Bruyère Research Institute) preferred but will consider applications from across Ontario
The Communications / Digital Media Officer is a key member of the SHRTN Secretariat. The Officer collaborates with the SHRTN Secretariat, Community of Practice (CoP) / Community of Interest (CoI) leaders, the SHRTN Information and Library service team, the SHRTN Knowledge Broker Team and SHRTN members to implement initiatives and activities that support the needs of the network and its members.
The Communications / Digital Media Officer in SHRTN is focused on developing, implementing and evaluating strategic communications for the network; as well as developing and maintaining the public and members only sections of the SHRTN.on.ca website.
- Improves access to information on the SHRTN.on.ca website (internal and external portions of the site)
- Facilitates orientation and access to web site features and online tools for SHRTN staff and members
- Works with staff to coordinate web site development/maintenance assignments and ensure the site is up-to-date and accurate
- Posts information provided by members and staff stakeholders to the site and researches, writes and posts new and updated content to the site
- Works independently and with the web working group and members to further develop, evaluate and sustain the website
- Assists with the monitoring and maintenance of day-to-day website performance, functionality, bug fixes, usability and site enhancement, working in conjunction with web hosting service
- Leads needs assessment process to determine new features required on the website and liaises with the Website Developer to implement agreed upon changes
- Coordinates content development, produces and distributes regular communication vehicles (SHRTN Exchange, e-blast, Events calendar)
- Ensures online access to publications and contact information
- Researches ways to improve SHRTN’s online profile (search engines, etc.) and implements as required; where cost is a factor, provides recommendations for same
- Supports internal and external communications plans with development of online communication materials, as required
- Contributes advice specific to digital communications as SHRTN develops, implements and evaluates strategic communications plans and activities
- Provides photography services for internal/external publications, events, websites and coordinates professional photography services as required
- Assists with planning and coordination of events
Knowledge Dissemination Series
- Coordinates all access to webinar technology (toll-free conference line and online meeting technology) used for knowledge dissemination
- Coordinates SHRTN Knowledge Dissemination Series in conjunction with Knowledge Brokers, Information Specialists for SHRTN Communities of Practice / Communities of Interest
- Works with members to develop additional events for the series and coordinates speakers, registration, onl-line facilitation, editing and archiving of events
Media / Government Relations and Issues Management
- Contributes to strategic media / government relations planning
- Contributes to the development and execution of crisis communication plans, when required
- Ensures media relations materials are easily available on the website; featuring “success” stories
- Recommends and implements strategies to improve media and government relations
- Works in collaboration with other members of the network to update professional corporate photography as required
The above duties are representative, but are not meant to be all-inclusive.
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Public Relations, Communications or Journalism; University degree preferred
- Public/Community Relations or Journalism experience preferred
- Minimum two years of experience in website/intranet management including writing and publishing content
- Experience in the health care or not-for-profit sector preferred
- Experience working with a variety of media, including print, broadcast and electronic
Skills and Knowledge:
- Advanced proficiency using word processing, Microsoft Office Suite; Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat
- Advanced knowledge of HTML, Flash Media and/or Java Script preferred
- Knowledge of W3C Accessibility Guidelines preferred
- Advanced proficiency using website content management systems
- Demonstrated ability to research information for publication to website (story development)
- Demonstrated advanced writing and proofreading skills, combined with familiarity with Canadian Press guidelines
- Demonstrated excellent media relations and communication skills combined with a strong sense of professionalism and the ability to use discretion and tact when dealing with sensitive or confidential issues
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work effectively, manage a full work load and meet deadlines in a busy environment with frequent interruptions, concurrent demands and tight deadlines
- Demonstrated trouble shooting, strategic thinking and creativity to problem solve issues that may arise in carrying out the duties of this position
- Demonstrated professional work attitude and behaviours in interaction with internal and external contacts
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a team member through collaboration, respect and effective communication
- Demonstrated effectiveness and self-initiative working with minimal supervision with proven reliability and trustworthiness
- Proven willingness to learn and acquire new information and skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the position
Education & Experience
- Baccalaureate degree preferred, will consider College diploma and experience in a relevant field
- Knowledge of current health care research and knowledge translation concepts acquired through either a postsecondary program and / or combined with relevant experience
- Knowledge and understanding of evidence informed practice and decision-making
- Experience working with healthcare practitioners, researchers / academics, government officials, administrators and patient / consumer groups to develop relationships and achieve shared goals
- Experience in meeting, committee support and conference planning
- Exceptional English skills required, bilingualism (written and spoken) is an asset
- Graphic design skills highly desirable and considered an asset
- Demonstrated experience using collaboration software (webinar platforms, html email services, Google docs, calendars, survey services)
- Understanding of how the presentation of information and design contributes to knowledge translation
- Strong graphic design skills with a good eye for layout and effective presentation of information in a variety of contexts (web, print, tools) and differing audiences an asset
- Demonstrated competency working with websites supported by a Content Management System (e.g. drupal, wordpress) an asset
- Demonstrated experience in applying best or promising practices in knowledge exchange (e.g., communications, education/training, toolkit development, marketing, stakeholder engagement) with multi-disciplinary groups.
- Ability to plan and implement large and small meetings (conference type as well as consultation and stakeholder involvement meetings).
- Ability to contribute to a small team under complex and stressful conditions, and in an environment of multiple conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to execute a variety of actions consistent with strategic and operational plans.
- Strong problem solving, creative thinking and capacity for diplomacy.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills with great attention to detail.
- You value and can facilitate a collaborative editorial process in support of high-quality communications.
- Ability to take initiative; work independently and accountably in a positive manner.
- You enjoy working in creative, flexible environments where initiative, good ideas and authentic collaboration through teamwork are valued
- You are interested in learning and practicing both online and in-person knowledge exchange facilitation with a team of skilled knowledge brokers
- You demonstrate high quality standards and a commitment to continuous improvement in your work
- You bring excellence to working with internal or external community members through superior interpersonal skills, aimed primarily at focusing efforts on discovering and meeting their needs for information and advice
- Salary will depend on qualifications and experience, with a salary range of approximately $35,000 to $45,000.
- Suitability for the position will be assessed at three and six months.
- Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and cv to Deirdre Luesby (contact details below) by April 16, 2012
- Deirdre Luesby, Executive Director, SHRTN Secretariat
Tel: 613.562.6262 ext 1654