The Research Innovation Office (RIO) has a mandate to enhance and foster research innovation activity at the University of Guelph (UG); to cultivate a culture of entrepreneurship; and to maximize the impact of University of Guelph research, both nationally and globally. RIO will achieve its mandate through a focus on knowledge mobilization, technology transfer, industry liaison and new venture creation.
Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) enhances impact by increasing engagement and connections across a variety of communities between research and practice to improve outcomes. Strategies to achieve this goal will include helping the community to engage with research; fostering partnerships; participating in strategic outreach; and developing projects that demonstrate and help shape the impact of our research.
Reporting to the Knowledge Mobilization Manager, the Knowledge Mobilization and Communications Coordinator for the Research Innovation Office will perform essential services that will increase the capacity of the department to support knowledge mobilization for on-and-off campus stakeholders. This key team member will support numerous knowledge mobilization programs and have direct contact with researchers, policy makers and external partners at other institutions and in the private and public sector. They will also contribute to the development of an effective Research Innovation Office communications strategy and be responsible for implementing the strategy on a day-to-day basis. In particular, the Coordinator will focus on supporting programs and research relevant to the mandate of the Food from Thought project.
Primary aspects of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting with the development, organization and execution of assorted KMb initiatives for on- and off-campus stakeholders; promoting initiatives through targeted communications, social media and events; and evaluating the uptake and impact of KMb initiatives.
- Supporting the creation and implementation of a multi-dimensional communications plan for RIO using traditional and social media, developing and disseminating marketing materials, identifying and attending events to represent RIO, and tracking and analyzing analytics on communications content.
- Supporting the KMb Manager in the successful execution and growth of the University of Guelph Policy Fellowship Program in Agriculture, Food and Biodiversity through engagement with potential Fellows, support and coordination of the Fellowship program, and communication and outreach with past Fellows.
- Coordinating, promoting and delivering knowledge mobilization training and events, including workshops, to build KMb capacity and to support the sharing of knowledge internally and externally.
To be considered for this role, candidates must have:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in the field of KMb or communications, preferably within an academic institution, hospital, NGO, government agency/department, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Awareness and understanding about knowledge mobilization best practices, theory and research
- Knowledge of marketing, media relations and experience using common social/digital marketing platforms
- Experience with graphic design, photography, broadcast, video production or Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is an asset
- Experience working on projects that include a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with various Microsoft (MS) Office Applications
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated empathy and experience tailoring messages and demeanor to communicate effectively with different audiences
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to present information succinctly orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and identify problems; analyze, recommend and execute solutions
- Creative thinking, problem solving and consensus building skills
- Proficiency in a second language would be an asset
The candidate we are seeking is well-acquainted with KMb and how it differs from traditional communication, and has a strong aptitude in building partnerships with a lasting positive impact. They are both optimistic about the opportunities for research to result in positive change, and practical about ways to achieve it.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Apply here: https://www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers-guelph/current-opportunities/knowledge-mobilization-and-communications-coordinator