Make a difference in brain research and innovation in Ontario
The Ontario Brain Institute is a not-for-profit organization that accelerates discovery and innovation, benefiting both patients and the economy. Our collaborative ‘team science’ approach promotes brain research, commercialization and care by connecting researchers, clinicians, industry, patients, and their advocates to improve the lives of those living with brain disorders. Welcome to Brain Central. Funding provided, in part, by the Government of Ontario.
OBI is passionate about the outcomes of its work, its people and partner organizations, and the opportunity to play a role in shaping the future. Its members are united in the common goal to improve brain health. The culture is fast-paced, challenging and rewarding.
If you are interested in joining the OBI team, please visit our employment opportunities at: http://www.braininstitute.ca/opportunities
Senior Lead, Communications (1 position)
The Ontario Brain Institute’s (OBI) Knowledge Translation and Outreach Program consists of Knowledge Translation, Communications, and Evaluation activities. Reporting to the Director, Integrated Discovery, the role of the Senior Lead, Communications is to plan, manage, and lead a suite of strategic and operational initiatives that increase awareness of brain disorders, their impact, and highlight the work underway in Ontario through OBI’s various programs. Working with the Knowledge Translation and Outreach team, the role leads the development and implementation of both strategic and responsive internal and external communications, media relations, social media, public relations, and outreach strategies.
- Lead the development of strategic communications initiatives with government, external partners / stakeholders, and OBI
- Lead the production, creation, and maintenance of communications programs, while proactively pursuing opportunities to raise awareness of OBI, its programs and activities, and the concept of brain health
- Develop, maintain, update content, and identify creative ways for OBI to maximize the reach of its website, blog, and social media channels
- Monitor media and social media to evaluate the impact of OBI’s marketing and communications efforts
- Work with OBI’s external service provider to manage the design and implementation of a robust communications and marketing plan, including media relations, marketing, and public affairs
- Write, edit, and distribute various communications materials including, but not limited to, media releases, newsletters, blog articles, videos, speeches, briefing documents, and presentations
- Lead the development and implementation of OBI’s public talk series in collaboration with OBI’s Events Lead
- Receive and respond to requests from internal and external sources for public relations material and information, and responds to media inquiries
- Update and maintain a crisis communications plan for any issues that pose significant threat
- Work with Ministry of Colleges and Universities, the Premier’s office, other government partners, and institutional partners’ communications staff on press releases and events
- Aide in preparation of speeches and presentations for OBI senior staff and Board members, as required
- Provide communications support and leadership for Knowledge Translation/Communications leads across OBI’s research program network
Skills & Experience
- Significant experience in project management and the design, development and implementation of communications strategies and activities
- Highly motivated, strategic thinker who is skilled at anticipating and resolving public relations issues
- A team-player accustomed to gracefully working with multiple stakeholder audiences
- Excellent interpersonal and writing skills, and the ability to lead a wide variety of communications functions, including writing and editing clean, clear copy on a tight deadlines
- Experience with Government Relations and Media Relations
- Ability to develop excellent working relationships with partner organizations is critical
- Recognized University/College degree/diploma in Communications/Public Relations or related field
- Minimum 3-5 years demonstrated experience in implementing communications programs
- Excellent technical skills (Microsoft Office products, desktop design, publication/production/presentation software and new technologies) are essential
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Adaptability, flexibility, diplomacy and tact
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task under tight deadlines
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish solid working relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and colleagues
- Knowledge and/or passion for brain research and brain health
- Ability to fluently communicate in French, an asset
We are a highly energized, passionate, collaborative, professional and committed team. We offer an exciting workplace and many opportunities for learning. Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply by July 15, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. OBI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Ontario Brain Institute is committed to providing accommodations for applicants at any stage of the recruitment and hiring process in accordance with Ontario Brain Institute policy, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should you require accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to provide appropriate accommodations.
The Ontario Brain Institute is an independent, not-for-profit corporation funded in part by the Government of Ontario.