Please note this is a temporary full-time position ending in August 2023.
Athabasca University is inviting applications from candidates across Canada for the position of Knowledge Mobilization Specialist. As a leader in open and online education, AU is transforming the future of digital-first university research by developing and launching IDEA Lab. IDEA is a cloud-based virtual research domain (VRD) developed in partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Ronin. As both a strategic and signature digital research asset, IDEA will enable AU researchers and students to innovate, discover, explore, and accelerate their work using existing and emerging tools, processes, and data in the cloud for maximum impact.
As part of a growing research development team, the Knowledge Mobilization Specialist will champion a culture that jointly prioritizes excellence in discovery alongside innovation in knowledge dissemination, transfer, and uptake. They will build capacity for research reach by partnering, training, and empowering researchers with strategic plans for mobilizing outcomes within IDEA and other AU research programs. In alignment with AU’s mandate for open education and removing barriers to knowledge, the Specialist will curate resources and develop collaborative relationships that advance open data and publishing opportunities on both academic and public platforms. The results of these efforts will both deepen researcher impact and elevate AU’s profile as a research university.
The Specialist reports to the Associate Vice President, Research and will closely with the Manager, Digital Research Initiatives, the program manager of IDEA Lab. The workflow of the Specialist will also entail liaising with other team members supporting research development and delivery in Research Services as well as associated supports in Academic Resources and University Relations.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum undergraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g., Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Media Studies, English) with complementary professional experience.
- 3+ years experience in research administration or communications role in a higher education setting.
- Subject matter expertise in areas related to knowledge mobilization, dissemination, translation, and uptake for academic and public audiences.
- Experience in digital mobilization platforms, open data, and knowledge of AWS cloud-for-research opportunities an asset.
Skills & Proficiencies:
- Strong knowledge of established and emerging methods of knowledge mobilization, with documented success in open data and publication platforms for broad uptake and reach.
- Understanding of relevant measures for traditional scholarly output as well as alternative metrics for capturing impact beyond academic disciplines and domains.
- Exceptional oral communication skills and practiced in developing and delivering engaging training sessions and consultations.
- Excellent written communication skills and experienced in creating cogent and compelling resources and reports.
- Takes initiative to build and maintain collaborative working relationships with researchers and members of other service units to create a community of practice.
- Capacity to work both independently and collaboratively while managing and adjusting a workflow with multiple demands and deadlines.
- Superior interpersonal skills, capacity to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with researchers, and ability to provide critical and formative feedback.
- Knowledge and experience with Tri-Agency (SSHRC, NSERC, and CIHR) grant programs, with a focus on requirements, challenges, and opportunities for knowledge mobilization.
- A self-starter who embraces challenges with a relentless focus on successful outcomes and innovating processes for continual improvement.
- Sound understanding and commitment to advancing AU’s mission and Strategic Research Plan.
- Excels in working within a distributed team environment and takes initiative to collaborate and connect in a near virtual workplace.