Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is hiring a Research Impact Communication & Evaluation Manager.
Reports to: VP, Research & Patient Programs
Type: Full-time, permanent
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is the only national, volunteer-based charity focused on finding the cures for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis and improving the lives of children and adults affected by these diseases.
We are one of the top two health charity funders of Crohn’s and colitis research in the world, investing over $130 million in research since 1974, leading to important breakthroughs in genetics, gut microbes, inflammation and cell repair as well as laying the groundwork for new and better treatments.
We are transforming the lives of people affected by Crohn’s and colitis (the two main forms of inflammatory bowel disease) through research, patient programs, advocacy, and awareness.
Visit our website (crohnsandcolitis.ca) for more information.
Health Science Communication. Journalistic Writing. Research Impact Evaluation. If these skills describe you, join the Crohn’s and Colitis Canada team and help shape how we evaluate and communicate research impact to our stakeholders. While your primary role will be on research impact communication and evaluation, you will also have the opportunity to work closely with IBD nurses through the CANIBD group.
Reporting to the Vice President, Research and Patient Programs, the Research Impact Communication and Evaluation Manager will be the primary person responsible for evaluating the outcomes and impacts of our research investments and developing creative ways to communicate these outcomes and impacts with various stakeholders.
Research Impact Communication
- Building upon our current research impact dissemination plans, execute dissemination activities targeting the public, volunteers, donors, supporters, and Crohn’s and Colitis Canada fundraising colleagues
- Write and edit lay friendly research stories and content about Crohn’s and colitis research
- Support the development of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada’s annual research report
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop videos, graphics and other collateral
- Provide data and information to support the development of donor communications
- Manage Research sections of Crohn’s and Colitis Canada website
- Working with the VP Research & Patient programs and stakeholders, develop and implement a research impact evaluation framework, measures and KPIs
- Track outcomes of research investments.
Program Manager for Canadian IBD Nurses (CANIBD)
- Coordinate meetings, create newsletters, maintain web content
- Manage & evaluate programs, including CANIBD IBD Nurse Fellowship, research & travel grant competitions
- Facilitate education webinars for nurses and support planning of annual CANIBD conference
- Lead the development of a digital learning program for IBD nurses
- Foster positive and respectful relationships with internal and external stakeholders to help advance and meet program objectives;
- Perform others duties as may be assigned by the VP, Research and Patient Programs.
Working Environment and Benefits
- Based out of our national office located in Toronto*;
- Flexible work hours and work from home policies;
- Extended health and dental employee benefits program; and
- Employer matching RRSP program
* Until further notice, this position will be remotely based due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in health sciences or strong demonstrable understanding of the field;
- 2+ years experience in the health science communication;
- Superior writing skills, in particular ability to communicate and animate complex scientific information to a lay audience;
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and communication (including presentation) skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders such as patients, volunteers and leaders in the IBD community;
- Sound knowledge base in research impact evaluation, including developing, implementing and tracking an evaluation framework for research programs; whether through 3+ years experience or a combination of formal training and experience;
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to organize workload, set priorities and respond effectively to competing demands;
- Strong aptitude in Microsoft Office;
- The ability to work both independently and within a diverse team;
- Self-motivated, including the capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines; and
- Successful completion of a police reference check.
Nice to haves
- Experience using graphics design tools
- Video editing experience
- French communication skills
How to Apply
Interested applicants are asked to submit a PDF of their resume and cover letter indicating salary expectations by clicking “Apply Now”.
As part of your submission, send us a written piece authored by you that demonstrates your ability to communicate health science to a general audience.
This position will be posted for a minimum of five (5) business days or until it is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest to work at Crohn’s and Colitis Canada; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Crohn’s and Colitis Canada is committed to making our recruitment process accessible to all candidates and provides accommodations for disabilities upon request.