Job Title: Knowledge Translation Specialist
Job ID: 54858
Location: 100 Main St W, Hamilton ON (Hybrid)
Job Type: Continuing, full-time
Posting Close Date: 05/29/2023
Employee Group: Unifor Unit 1, Staff
Department: Family Medicine
Salary Grade/Band: Grade 8
Salary Range: $26.92 – $40.53 (hourly)
Responsible for working with researchers and key stakeholders to plan, develop, implement and evaluate effective knowledge translation and communication strategies that will facilitate the dissemination and uptake of research findings for use in program, practice and policy decisions, as well as other general communications strategies for the Department.
The KT Specialist shares responsibility for modelling and supporting policies and practices that are aligned with DFM’s commitment to truth and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples, to addressing the harms of racism experienced by Black and racialized communities and to creating and sustaining an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace for all.
- Conduct initial and ongoing needs assessments of key stakeholder groups and organizations and analyze findings.
- Conduct both qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- Develop strategic plans and objectives related to knowledge translation.
- Develop concepts when adding activities to the knowledge transfer strategy and other communication strategies.
- Integrate and reflect current and emerging evidence-based knowledge translation strategies based on a number of conceptual models.
- Conduct ongoing market research including, but not limited to, administering surveys and planning, coordinating, and facilitating focus groups.
- Synthesize research knowledge and develop plain language research summaries for specific research projects.
- Identify and implement strategies to transfer research findings to policy and program decision makers.
- Develop and implement evidence-based strategies for the transfer of evidence and research messages to specific audiences.
- Provide descriptive and analytic information to key stakeholders.
- Compile and disseminate ad-hoc reports and products to broad audiences and stakeholders.
- Work with researchers to identify the optimal ways to disseminate results to the research community and stakeholders.
- Develop strategic communication initiatives that act as knowledge transfer mechanisms and raise the awareness of the work and outcomes of the research enterprise and other departmental initiatives.
- Write and design communications, marketing, and dissemination tools for diverse audiences in print and electronic formats.
- Prepare and distribute press releases and communications to announce key research findings and other departmental initiatives.
- Provide advice and expertise to decision makers on the use of evaluation activities to measure the effectiveness of the knowledge translation strategy.
- Engage, maintain, and facilitate relationships between stakeholders.
- Establish, maintain, and facilitate communication between all study and departmental stakeholders, as well as between other areas of the department.
- Liaise with internal contacts, external partners, community organizations and other stakeholders.
- Develop and implement various interactive activities including, but not limited to, website updates.
- Evaluate websites and make necessary changes regarding graphic layout, content, usability and relevance.
- Source vendors and obtain pricing information.
- Develop and maintain social media platforms.
- Coordinate media inquiries and connect media with relevant persons in the department.
- Update and maintain information in databases.
- Remain current with frequent developments in social media platforms and trends.
Additional competencies include:
- Strong skills in program planning and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience working with various target groups and stakeholders to understand need and context;
- Demonstrated experience in preparing messages and KT strategies in various formats (e.g., web, social media) for the public, patients, health care providers and policy makers;
- Ensures that knowledge is transferred and exchanged in ways that meets the needs of a diverse audience by consulting with stakeholder groups and knowledge holders across various equity-deserving communities;
- Demonstrated strategic use of web analytic data to advance user engagement and familiarity with website maintenance and content management systems;
- Experience working in a health care environment;
- Exemplary skills in interpersonal communications, planning and project management; and
- Experience with video production – filming, editing, integrating audio files
- Experience with various software applications, including Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, etc.)
- Flexibility is necessary as the position may require the incumbent to work occasional early mornings, evenings and weekends.
Some things to note about our office space:
- Our office building is in downtown Hamilton and accessible via public transit.
- Our offices are located on levels 2-6, which are all wheelchair accessible.
- Gender-inclusive public washrooms are available on site.
The Department of Family Medicine also recognizes the impact of leaves (e.g. family care or health-related) that may have had an impact on your career path. You are welcome to share this information with us, and it will be considered when assessing your application in full to ensure an equitable approach.
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.